(PDF version of this CV)
Department of Economics
420 West 118 Street, #1005
New York, NY 10027
Fax: 1 212 854 8059
Home Page: www.salaimartin.com
Doctor of Philosophy, Harvard University, May 1990.
Thesis: "On Growth and States".
Master of Arts, Harvard University , June 1987.
Lisensiao Ciencias Economicas, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, June 1985.
Columbia University, Department of Economics, Professor of Economics, 1996-present
Harvard University, Department of Economics, Visiting Professor of Economics, 2003-2004
Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Visiting Professor, Department of Economics, Springs of 1994-2005.
Yale University, Department of Economics, Associate Professor, 1993-1996 (previously Assistant Professor, 1990-1993)
OTHER PROFESSIONAL POSITIONS
Futbol Club Barcelona, Treasurer and member of the board 2009-2010, President of the Economic Commission, 2004-2009, President of the Club, Summer 2006.
Telefonica, Member of the Advisory Board in Catalunya, 2004-present.
Umbele Foundation: A Future for Africa, Founder and CEO, 2004-present
World Economic Forum, Davos, Switzerland, Co-editor of the Global Competitiveness Report, 2008, Chief Economic Advisor 2006-present, and author of the Global Competitiveness Index (used by the WEF in its Global Competitiveness Report since 2004)
Societat Econòmica Barcelonesa d'Amics del País, President of the Economic Comission, 2005-present.
National Bureau of Economic Research, Cambridge, MA. Faculty Research Fellow. 1991-present.
International Monetary Fund , Washington D.C., Consultant, 1993-2004.
World Bank, Washington D.C., Consultant, 1993-2004.
UNESPA (Spanish Association of Insurance Companies), Member of the Advisory Board, 2008-2010
Associate Editor, Journal of Economic Growth. Kluwert Academic Publishers, 1995-present.
Center for European Policy Research, London, UK. Research Fellow. 1992-2004.
Institute of Policy Research, Washington, DC. Junior Research Fellow. 1993-1995.
Rochester Center for Economic Research, Rochester, NY. Research Associate, 1993-1995.
Associate Editor, Moneda y Credito. Fundacion Central-Hispano, Madrid, 1993-1995.
Advisory Editor, Economics Letters, Harvard University, 1997-2002.
1996-2011, Columbia University, Macroeconomic Analysis I (first year PhD class on Macroeconomics)
1996-2011, Columbia University, Economic Growth and Development (second year PhD class on Macroeconomics)
1996-2011, Columbia University, Intermediate Macroeconomic I (undergraduate class on Macroeconomics)
2003-2004, Economic Development (graduate and undergraduate) at Harvard University, Cambridge, MA.
1999-2011 (Summer): Barcelona Macroeconomics Summer School. A week-long course on Advanced Topics on Economic Growth
2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1997: IMF Institute. Courses on economic growth and development for IMF employees.
2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1996: IMF Institute. Courses on Economic Growth for Government Employees of over 100 countries.
2011, Economic Growth lecture at the African Development Bank, in Tunis, Tunisia.
2004, Lecture on Global Health and the Development Poverty Trap at the Advanced Health Leadirship Program (Universitat Pompeu Fabra)
2000 (Spring): Kiel Institute of Economics, Kiel, Germany.
1997, 1998: Visiting Professor: New York University, Fall Term
1996: IMF Institute. Mini-course on economic growth for IMF senior staff. Summer 1996.
1994-2007: Visiting Professor. Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona. Spring-Summer quarter.
1994: Scandinavian Economic Association. Course on Economic Growth in Helsinki, Finland, June 1994.
1993: European Economic Association's Fourth Summer School. Lectures on "Financial Markets and Economic Development". Helsinki, Finland.
1993: Lectures on Economic Growth at the Indira Gandhi Institute in Bombay, India.
1993: Spanish Royal Academy of Sciences: Invited Special Lectures in Economics. Madrid, Spain.
1988 - 1989: Instructor, Graduate Mathematics for Economists, Harvard University.
1987 - 1990: Teaching Fellow, Graduate and Undergraduate Macroeconomics, Harvard University.
1985: Instructor, Introductory Economics, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona.
OTHER EMPLOYMENT EXPERIENCE
2009-present: Weekly section on TV Show “Divendres” in TV3 (in Catalan). This is a 45 show where economic issues are discussed by Xavier Sala-i-Martin.
2008-present: commentator for “Dinero”, in CNN Español.
2000- present: Op-Ed columnist for newspaper “La Vanguardia” (Barcelona).
2000-present: Bi-Weekly appearance in a daily afternoon program called “Versio Original” with Toni Clapés). The show was in Catalunya Radio until 2005 and then moved to RAC1. (Audience: 150.000)
2008-Present: Bi-Weekly appearance in the Opinion Section of “El Món a RAC 1” amb Jordi Basté (Audience: 400.000)
2000- 2008: Bi-Weekly radio appearances in the Opinion Section of “Els Matins de Catalunya Ràdio” amb Antoni Bassas (Audience: 450.000).
2007-present: Bi-weekly appearance in “El Gabinete” de Onda Cero with Julia Otero (Audience: unknown).
2005-2006: Bi-weekly appearance in “Cadena SER” with Carles Francino (Audience: 2 million).
2000-2003: Weekly participant “Catalunya Nit” amb Gaspar Hernàndez. The show was cancelled when the Socialist Party won the Catalan and Spanish elections in 2003 and 2004 respectively. Average Audience: 85.000 people.
1999 - 2004: Television Show “Bon Dia Catalunya” in Barcelona (TV3). The show was cancelled when the Socialist Party won the Catalan and Spanish elections in 2003 and 2004 respectively.
2000: Weekly Radio Show in Barcelona called “Els Dimecres, Economia amb Xavier Sala i Martin” at RAC 1. Average Audience: unknown.
1998 - 2000: Op-Ed Columnist for the Newspaper “El Periódico de Catalunya”, “El Temps” and “Public” (Barcelona) and “Expansión” (Madrid),
1995 - 2000: Op-Ed Columnist for the Newspaper “Avui” (Barcelona.)
1998 -1999: Television Show: Segment called “Diguem-ho Clar” (Clear Talk) in Parallel-33 with Jaume Barberà, TV3
1987-1990: Research Assistant for Professor Robert J. Barro.
1988-1990: Columnist for the Newspaper "La Vanguardia de Barcelona".
1986: Assistant to Jeffrey Sachs in Advising Bolivia's Minister of Planning Sánchez de Losada (in La Paz).
- Economic Growth, Second Edition, MIT Press, 2004. A Graduate Textbook on Economic Growth (joint with Robert Barro). Translated into Russian, Spanish, French (by McGraw Hill), German (by Oldenbourg), Japanese, and Chinese.
- “Economic Growth”, McGraw Hill, 1995.
- “Social Security in Theory and Practice: Theories, Evidence and Implications for Reform”, (joint with Casey B. Mulligan), Forthcoming
- “Global Competitiveness Report”, Editor, 2008. Contributor in leading chapter and author of the Global Competitiveness Index, 2003-2012.
- “Lliçons d’economia al Versió” (Forthcoming 2012, in Catalan and Spanish)
- Diálogos con Xavier Sala i Martin, editorial Planeta, 2010 (in Spanish)
- Doncs jo ho Veig Així, Random House Mondadori, 2010 (in Catalan).
- Pues yo lo veo así, Random House Mondadori, 2010 (in Spanish).
- "Converses amb Xavier Sala i Martin" by Jordi Graupera (a book about my thoughts written by a journalist), Edicions Dau, November 2007
- "Economia Liberal per a No Economistes i No Liberals", Editorial Enciclopèdia Catalana, Barcelona. May 2001 (in Catalan). Currently in its 7th edition.
- "Economia Liberal para No Economistas y no Liberales", Editorial Plaza y Janes, Barcelona; April 2002 (in Spanish).
- "Apuntes de Crecimiento Ecónomico" , Antoni Bosch Editor, Barcelona, 1994. 2nd Edition, 2001.
- "Introduccio a l'Economia" , Translation into Catalan of Robert Heilbronner's and Lester Thurow's "Economics Explained". Editorial Empúries, Barcelona. 1985.
TV DOCUMENTARIES and DVDs
- “Las Buenas Intenciones” (in Spanish), Documentary on the effectiveness of Aid in Africa. Shown in TeleMadrid, December 2007
- “Les Bones Intencions” (in Catalan), Documentary on the effectiveness of Aid in Africa. Forthcoming in TV3, 2008
- “The Good Intentions”, (in English), Documentary on the effectiveness of Aid in Africa. Forthcoming in 2008
(1) IN ENGLISH
- “The Future of the World Economy” (2012)
- “The Global Competitiveness Index 2011-2012: Setting the Foundations for Strong Productivity (joint with Benat Bilbao-Osorio, Jennifer Blanke, Margareta Drzeniek, Thierry Geiger) Global Competitiveness Report of the World Economic Forum, October 2011.
- “African Poverty is Falling… Faster than You Think” (Joint with Maxim Pinkovskiy), NBER Working Paper, 2010.
- “Social Security and Democracy” The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy: Vol. 10 : Iss. 1 (Contributions), Article 18 (joint with Ricard Gil and Casey Mulligan), January 2010.
- “The Global Competitiveness Index 2010-2011: Looking behind the Global Economic Crisis (joint with Jennifer Blanke, Margareta Drzeniek, Thierry Geiger, Irene Mia) Global Competitiveness Report of the World Economic Forum, October 2009.
- “Parametric Estimations of the World Distribution of Income” (Joint with Maxim Pinkovskiy), NBER Working Paper 15433, October 2009.
- “The Global Competitiveness Index 2009-2010: Contributing to Long-Term prosperity amid the Global Economic Crisis (joint with Jennifer Blanke, Margareta Drzeniek, Thierry Geiger, Irene Mia) Global Competitiveness Report of the World Economic Forum, October 2009.
- “Measuring the Productive Potential of Nations” (with Jennifer Blanke, Margareta Drzeniek, Thierry Geiger, Irene Mia, and Fiona Paua), Global Competitiveness Review of the World Economic Forum, October 2007.
- “Global Inequality Fades as the Global Economy Grows”¸ in 2007 Index of Economic Freedom of the Heritage Foundation.
- “The World Distribution of Income: Estimated from Individual Country Distributions”. Quarterly Journal of Economics, May 2006.
- “Why are the Critics so Convinced that Globalization is Bad for the Poor?: Comment”, in Ann Harrison Ed. Globalization and Poverty, NBER 2006
- “We are the Present”, Bank of Spain. Acceptance speech for the King Juan Carlos I Prize of Economics. 2005.
- "Determinants of Long-Term Growth: A Bayesian Averaging of Classical Estimates (BACE) Approach” (with Gernot Doppelhofer and Ronald Miller), American Economic Review, September 2004.
- “The Global Competitiveness Index” (with Elsa V. Artadi), Global Competitiveness Report of the World Economic Forum, 2004.
- “Democracy and the Public Sector: the BTE Approach”, Mimeo Columbia University, (with Casey Mulligan and Ricard Gil), Journal of Economics Perspectives, Winter 2004.
- "The Growth Competitiveness Index: Analyzing Key Underpinnings of Economic Growth", (with Jennifer Blanke and Fiona Paua), Global Competitiveness Report of the World Economic Forum, 2003.
- “The Economic Tragedy of the XXth Century: Growth in Africa” (with Elsa V. Artadi), forthcoming African Competitiveness Report of the World Economic Forum 2003.
- “Social Security in Theory and Practice: Facts" (with Casey Mulligan), Advances in Economic Analysis and Policy, Berkeley Electronic Journal, 2003.
- "Political and Economic Forces Sustaining Social Security" (with Casey Mulligan), Advances in Economic Analysis and Policy, Berkeley Electronic Journal, 2003.
- “Economic Growth and Investment in the Arab World”, Arab Competitiveness Report published by the World Economic Forum, September 2002.
- “Poor People are Unhealthy People...and Viceversa”, proceedings of the International Meeting of Health Economics, Paris 2002.
- “The Myth of Exploding Income Inequality in Europe and the World”, in Europe and Globalization , edited by Palgrave McMillan, London. In honor of the 75th anniversary of the establishment of the Graduate Institute of International Studies in Geneva, June 2002
- “15 Years of Growth Economics: What Have we Learnt?", in The Challenges of Economic Growth, Ed. Norman Loaiza, Central Bank of Chile, 2002
- "Convergence and Divergence: Theoretical Underpinnings", Keynote Address at the East-West Conference 2001 of the Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Central Bank of Austria, in Vienna), September 2001.
- “Measuring Aggregate Human Capital” (with Casey Mulligan), Journal of Economic Growth, September 2000.
- “Gerontocracy, Retirement, and Social Security" (with Casey B. Mulligan), Revise and Resubmit at the American Economic Review. this paper was a NBER Working Paper 7117, May 1999.
- “Extensive Margins and the Demand for Money at Low Interest Rates”, (with Casey Mulligan), Journal of Political Economy, Vol 108, Number 5, pp.1003-33, October 2000. This paper circulated earlier with the name “The Adoption Costs of Financial Technologies: Implications for Monetary Policy”
- “Health Investment Complementarities Under Competing Risks” (with Will Dow and Thomas Philipson), American Economic Review, December 1999. This paper was awarded the Kenneth J. Arrow Award by the International Health Economics Organization.
- "Empirics of Economic Growth: Cross-Sectional Analysis" , Zagreb Journal of Economics,Vol. 1, n.1, pp. 103-132, 1997.
- “I Just Ran Two Million Regressions”, American Economic Review, Vol. 87, n.2, pp. 178-183, 1997.
- “The Optimum Quantity of Money: Theory and Evidence”, (with Casey B. Mulligan), Journal of Money Credit and Banking, November 1997.
- “Transfers, Social Safety Nets, and Growth”. IMF Staff Papers, vol. 44, No 1, pp.81-102, 1997.
- “Technological Diffusion, Convergence, and Growth”, (with Robert J. Barro), Journal of Economic Growth, Vol. 2, No. 1, 1997.
- "A Positive Theory of Social Security", Journal of Economic Growth, Vol. 1, n.2, June 1996, p.277-304.
- “The Classical Approach to Convergence Analysis”, Economic Journal, Vol. 106, n.437, July 1996, p.1019-1036.
- "Regional Cohesion: Evidence and Theories of Regional Growth and Convergence", European Economic Review,Vol 40, June 1996, p.1325-1352.
- “Too Much Government”, Barcelona Management Review, September-December 1996, #3, pp. 74-81.
- "A Labor-Income-Based measure of the Aggregate Value of Human Capital" (with Casey B. Mulligan), Journal of Japan and the World Economy, May 1996.
- "A Growth Model of Inflation, Tax Evasion, and Financial Repression", (with Nouriel Roubini), Journal of Monetary Economics, vol. 35,#2, 275-302, April 1995.
- "Capital Mobility in Neoclassical Models of Economic Growth" (with Robert J. Barro and N. Gregory Mankiw), American Economic Review, vol. 85, #1, pp.103-115, March 1995.
- “European Migration: Push and Pull, comment”, Proceedings of the World Bank Annual Conference on Development Economics, 1995. Reprinted in International Regional Science Review, (January 1996).
- "Cross Sectional Regressions and the Empirics of Economic Growth", European Economic Review, April 1994.
- "Transitional Dynamics in Two-Sector Models of Endogenous Growth", (with Casey B. Mulligan), Quarterly Journal of Economics, August 1993.
- “U.S. Money Demand: Surprising Cross-Sectional Estimates”, (with Casey B. Mulligan), Brookings Papers of Economic Activity, 1992 II, P. 285-329.
- "Regional Growth and Migration: A Japan-U.S. Comparison", (with Robert J. Barro), Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, #6, 312-346, December 1992.
- "Public Finance in Models of Economic Growth", (with Robert J. Barro), Review of Economic Studies, #59, p. 645-661, November 1992.
- "Financial Repression and Economic Growth", (with Nouriel Roubini), Journal of Development Economics #39, p. 5-30, July 1992. (parts, but not all, of this paper appear in the NBER working paper # 3876 entitled "Financial Development, the Trade Regime and Economic Growth", October 1991.)
- "Convergence", (with Robert J. Barro), Journal of Political Economy, v. 100, #21, p.223-251, April 1992.
- "Fiscal Federalism and Optimum Currency Areas: Evidence for Europe from the United States", in M. B. Canzoneri, V. Grilli and P. R. Masson editors, "Establishing a Central Bank: Issues in Europe and Lessons from the U.S.", Cambridge University Press, 1992.
- "Growth, Macroeconomics, and Development: Comment", comment on Stanley Fischer's paper in O. J. Blanchard and S. Fischer editors, "1991 Macroeconomics Annual", M.I.T. press, November 1991.
- "Convergence Across States and Regions", (with Robert J. Barro), Brookings Papers of Economic Activity, 1991:1, April 1991. Reprinted in A. Cukierman, Z. Hercowitz and L. Leiderman ed. "Political Economy, Growth, and Business Cycles" M.I.T. Press, 1992.
- "Lecture Notes on Economic Growth (I) and (II). NBER working papers # 3563 and #3564, December 1990.
- "World Real Interest Rates", (with Robert J. Barro) in O. J. Blanchard and S. Fischer editors "1990 NBER Macroeconomics Annual", M.I.T. Press, 1990.
(2) IN OTHER LANGUAGES
- “La Religió del Segle XXI: Mediambientalisme” Fundacio Catalunya Oberta, 2005
- “Catalanisme Obert al Segle XXI: L’Economia”, Fundacio Catalunya Oberta, 2002
- El Món Després del 11 de Setembre: Un Món Incert (keynote speech for the 2001 Annual Meeting of the Col.legi d'Economistes de Catalunya, November 2001)
- “Independència de Catalunya: La Viabilitat Econòmica”, Revista d’Omnium Cultural, 1998.
- “Distribució Òptima de la Despesa Pública entre les Comunitats Autònomes”, Nota d’Economia 57, Publicacions de la Generalitat de Catalunya, May 1997.
- “Massa Govern”, Barcelona Management Review, September-December 1996, #3, pp. 74-81..
- "Macroeconomia als Estats Units: Els Fets", (with Jordi Gali), Revista Ecònomica de Catalunya, April 1988.
- "Estabilitzacio, Dollars i Deficits", (with Jordi Gali), Revista Ecònomica de Catalunya, April 1988.
- "Macroeconomia als Estats Units: Les Idees", (with Jordi Gali), Revista Ecònomica de Catalunya, April 1988.
- “La Reforma de las Pensiones en España: Comentario”, Moneda y Crédito, 204, p105, 1997.
- "La Riqueza de las Regiones", Moneda y Credito, Madrid, Spain, July 1994.
Awards, Fellowships, and Grants
- 2011 Babson College's Carpenter Prize
- 2010 Premi del Consell Social de la UPF a la qualitat en la docència, curs 2009-2010
- 2006 Lenfest Award to a Distinguished Columbia Faculty
- 2006 Premio Reflexiones to the best article related to health issues published in the popular press (organized by Sanitaria 2000 and Astra Zeneca Foundation). The winning article is called “Limitar Nuestra Libertad” and was published in La Vanguardia.
- 2005 Honorary Professorship at Remnin University in Beijing (China)
- 2005 Premi Internacional Terres de Girona (International Prize “Land of Girona”) to the best NGO initiative of 2004 (for the creation of the Umbele Foundation: A Future for Africa).
- 2005 Honorary Professorship at Central University of Beijing (China)
- 2005 AztraZeneca-StoraEnso Lecture, Stockholm Sweden.
- 2004 Premio Juan Carlos I de Economía. This bi-annual prize is awarded by the Bank of Spain to the best economist in Spain and Latin America.
- 2004 National Science Foundation Grant, Washington, D.C.
- 2003 Conde de Godó Prize of Journalism (“Premio Conde de Godó de periodismo”). This prize rewards the best op-ed published in any Spanish Newspaper over the previous year.
- 2002 Prize Banco Herrero to the best Spanish Economist under 40, October 3, 2003.
- 2001 Economics Person of the Year awarded by CECOT, an Association of Small Business in Barcelona, to the person who, in their judgement, contributed the most to the Economics and Business Environment during the previous year, October 2001.
- 2000 Kenneth J. Arrow Award awarded by the International Health Economics Organization at the American Economic Association Meetings in New Orleans, January 5th, 2000.
- Distinguished Teacher in Graduate Economics, Columbia Economics Department, New York, NY, December 1999.
- Elected one of the “Top 100 Most Promissing Spanish Citizens for the 21st Century” (selected by the newspaper El Pais, Madrid, 1999)
- Distinguished Teacher in Graduate Economics, Columbia Economics Department, New York, NY, December 1998.
- King Juan Carlos I Prize for outstanding researchers under the age of 40 in the Humanities and Social Sciences (“Premio Rey Juan Carlos I de Humanidades e Investigación Científico Social para Investigadores Jóvenes”). Madrid, Spain, January 1998.
- National Science Foundation Grant, 1997-2001. Washington, D.C.
- GCIT Grant, 1998-2000, Generalitat de Catalunya.
- Iberdrola Grant. Madrid, Spain, 1997.
- Iberdrola Grant. Madrid, Spain, 1996.
- National Science Foundation Grant, 1993-1996. Washington, D.C.
- Lee Hixon’s Prize for Teaching Excellence, Yale College, New Haven, CT, 1995.
- DGCIT Grant, 1994-1997, Generalitat de Catalunya.
- Institute of Policy Research, Washington, DC. Junior Research Fellow. 1993-1995.
- Distinguished Teacher in Graduate Economics, Yale Economics Department, New Haven, CT, December 1992.
- Instituto de Estudios Fiscales Grant, 1992, Madrid, Spain.
- Institute for Policy Reform Junior Fellowship, 1992, Washington, DC.
- European Fund for Regional Development (FEDER) Grant, 1992, Brussels, Europe.
- Yale Social Science Research Fellowship 1991, 1992, New Haven, CT.
- National Science Foundation Grant, 1990-1993, Washington, DC.
- Banco de Vizcaya-Bilbao Grant, 1991, Barcelona.
- Instituto de Estudios Fiscales Grant, 1989-90, Madrid, Spain.
- Banco Exterior de España Fellowship 1987-88, Madrid, Spain.
- Fulbright Fellow 1985-87, La Caixa (Barcelona) and Fulbright Foundation, New York, NY.